Click on the photos to enlarge and
to return to Photographs
The photograph on the left shows a pony
& trap nearby The Wootons & Cornishman.
It is believed a Mr. Jewell is the proud possessor of the carriage. The
year would be around the turn of the 20th century.
The horse & carriage is
photographed at the top of Penally Hill in Boscastle.
Mr. William Boney, is seen holding the horse by it's reins. Mr. Boney,
used to convey passengers from Tintagel to Bude, before the days of
Potato Digging by hand, no machinery could operate
on these steep slopes at Treknow Mills, Trebarwith in 1940. Digging from
left to right are:
Ernest Rogers, Boysy Prouse, David Mann, William Boney (the boss), Roy
Rogers (NOT the cowboy!) and Austin Hill.
Les Baker & his
wife Ruth, gave me these photographs for the site and Les is shown here
in 1941, when he was a Bomb Disposal officer. The distinctive
badge he wore can be seen on his left arm
At one time Tintagel had five petrol stations and at
the end of September 2000 there were NO petrol stations. Fry's
petrol station closed then after many years of service to the village. Les
Baker, followed his father with these pumps which were situated at the
Fudge shop next door to King Arthur's Car Park. The pumps were in
operation until the 1970s. The Wooton's Hotel can be seen in the
This photograph taken in the early 1930s
shows Stephen Cann standing in the flooded river at Trerammett
Photograph by courtesy of
Davidstow Village HallIt was built by the Air Ministry
Works Department [AMWD].
At first it was a carpentry shop & later was converted to the station
gymnasium. The saw pit for the carpenters was covered over. Much later the
saw pit under the village hall floor was filled with water and made the
Americans were stationed on the RAF site at Davidstow Aerodrome
during World War Two. All their entertainment was held in the hall & many
local people attended, the dances in particular. After the war the hall
continued as a vibrant entertainment centre for many events, particularly
Sadly the hall was not used much in later years & now has fallen into
. Can you add any names
to the list opposite?
Names Of Scholars & Teachers Sir James Smiths School 1933/34
Back Row: ?,Treleaven, W.Cocks, S.Symons, R.Kellow,
Les Baker, Archie Button, Eddie Batten, Fred Leese,?,?,.
Piper, V.Jacobs, Squire Stephens,
Peter Knight, Eddie Dennis, Hooper, L.Boney, 2nd Front: S.Pooley,
Mr Leese, Dudley Kernick,?,
Front ?,?,Eric Stephens, S.Patten, R.Patten,?,?,?
Teachers: Left Menadue Right Fricker